Ducks!

Crazyabouthens

Songster
Jun 9, 2021
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! Recently I have got 2 Aylesbury ducks 🦆 I am new to ducks and this is the first time I have had them. Just wondering if anyone has some tips on looking after them, what they like to eat, what size their coop should be? Anything at all about them! Thank you:p

I think you'll find lots of info just by searching through the duck forum. How old are your ducks and what type of set-up do you have for them right now? Are they males or females? Do you have a duck specific food? Mazuri waterfowl is a good choice, but there are others. With ducks you have to be careful of everything they walk on, as their feet are delicate and they easily develop bumblefoot, which is a huge headache to take care of. Especially for the heavier birds, it's very important to make sure there is nothing sharp or hard they are walking on, as much as possible. I have 5 ducks and they have a covered run that is about 10x20 and includes a 4x10 enclosed area that I can close up at night for sleeping. Depending on where you live you will need to figure out what you need to make it predator proof. I live in the woods and I have used 1/2 inch hardware cloth , down into the ground, under concrete blocks. I have to worry about bears, hawks and eagles, raccoons, mink, etc. My duck area has a tiny pool in it. Water is essential to duck happiness, and they also need easy ways to get in and out of it. My ducks get let out of their run twice a day to forage and play around in the yard, where there is a bigger pond and lots of grass. They love to eat the greens and bugs and worms they find there. I have a portable housing that I can put them in outside if I can't keep a close eye on them, and that is bird proof and contains them. There's so much to say about ducks, if you have specific questions I think this is a good place to ask them and you'll get a wide variety of good answers! Post a picture of your ducks if you can!

Well congrats! Ducks are such a blessing😉 a messy, filthy, poopy, adorable, sweet, curious, blessing! Be warned all those adjectives are very true. My ducks adore playing in the grass and surprisingly also love mud. Do you have names for your sweethearts yet? Also they LOVE treats in their water by the way. Have fun with those bundles of joy! Ooo and I’m sure we would all love a picture!

Mine like peas, compost piles, rain, puddles, escaping their yard, and talking to each other. I will say in my limited experience, they tend to be braver when there are more than 2, but then duck politics comes into play. They are very personable, smart and seem to form tight bonds with each other. And they are truly excellent at slug control

Back
Top Bottom