Ducks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dgeter, Apr 27, 2009.

1. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Hey everyone! So my husband and I went to Jax Farm and Ranch yesterday and fell totally in love with the baby ducks there. We're now working harder to get our coop built faster haha.

Anyway, I'm wondering how hard it is to keep their wings clipped? I've had birds all my life and it seems that the bigger the bird, the harder it is to clip their wings. At least ducks dont have pointy beaks haha.

Oh and any other thoughts on raising ducks and chickens together?

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I don't clip my ducks wings. They can fly well, but stay at home where the food is. We haven't been through a fall yet where foreign birds migrate through the territory, but I may keep them in during that time.
    I have flying mallards. They are housed in a 10X4 kennel with an old dog house for their housing.

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I've got 3 khaki campbells, and I'm not planning on clipping their wings either!

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Some ducks can and will fly away but will come home every Spring. Others won't or can't fly away.

Clipping wings is really easy if you know what you're doing. I have parrots of varying sizes. From 6 inches long to 3 feet tall and I clip wings with no problems.

Ducks like Pekins don't need their wings clipped because they're too heavy to fly.

Laurie

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My Khaiki Campbells can't get their wide butts 1 ft off thei ground even when they try. [​IMG] When they were younger they could pop up about 4 ft but never for more than a few yards and that didn't last long.

I don't think my Cayugas ever even get their feet off the ground. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by