1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CampineBuddy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. CampineBuddy

CampineBuddy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi I was wondering if anyone knows about black east indi ducks and or fawn runner ducks.

I would like to know what their personalitys are.

Thanks!![​IMG]

<Carmen>

2. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    I have four BEI right now and I love love love them. They have great personalities in my opinion. They are kept with my Khaki Campbells right now and it seems that they for the most part are buddies but very independant from the others. The drakes are so cute and bring food to the hens and protect them. They are really really really noisy and "talk" all day long amongst themselves. They are also the ducks I hear first when there is a predator or someone at the coop who shouldn't be. They are way way messy compared to my Khaki's. They love water and dabble away five gallons in nothing flat. They like it muddy and wet where as the Khakis don't care.

I recently lost a hen and would like more BEI, that's how much I love them. [​IMG]

They are fun to watch and are mischevious but stay close to home. Mine fly but not far, and always come home. They also set really well for me and are great moms. They are also good at keeping the bugs down and the weeds out of the irrigation ditch because they love to eat the shoots. At night if I have a light on somewhere I have to make them go in, they would be night owls otherwise.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Ducks Rule
    Others Drool!

4. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    My f&w Indian runner is very vocal and very much the leader of my little flock of ducks (1 pekin, 3 rouens) She is always leading them single file here and there, hither and yon. She was also the first to take lettuce from my hand and just about bowls anyone else over to get to it first. She is definitely my favorite. I plan on getting more of them this spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by