1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by squeak1387, May 18, 2011.

1. squeak1387

squeak1387 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    at what age do pekin ducks start to lay? and how can you tell a male from a female?

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I'm not sure about when they begin to lay...mine are not there yet,either.But the genders? My male pekin has a raspy voice and a drake feather.The female is louder and no drake feather.

3. lilchicklets2

lilchicklets2 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Drake feather? Is that what the curled up feather on their bum is called? My female is way louder then my drake. So who ever yells at you the loudest is your female [​IMG]

4. squeak1387

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    if thats the case then i think i have 2 males and 4 females. one of them i think is crested because she has a poof on her head, has since i got her as a ducklings. i think they are all around 1 1/2 months now. but they have grown so much it is crazy. they are bigger than my laying hens.

5. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I am not sure in general, but my Pekin hen started laying around 4.5-5 months old. Some people have said their ducks started much later.

Girls have a more typical "honking" noise, while the male's voice is quieter and more raspy. The drake feather, if their old enough to have them, is a sure sign of a male.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Yep...that would be the curly "bum" feather! [​IMG]

7. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    Mine started laying at 5 1/2 months old.

8. squeak1387

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    thats cool so they should start laying about the time my chicks start laying

9. Duckville denizen

Duckville denizen Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    When you hear a loud, distinct "Quack," you can be sure it's a female. The drakes sort of mutter, in my opinion. Does that sound a little like us humans, too>[​IMG] When they are old enough, the drakes will have the little curl at the end of their back. I have heard, however, that some older hens will start having a drake's curl, too. Must be something like us older human females getting chin whiskers.[​IMG]

10. knightie

knightie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Thats good to know.... I got 3 ducklings today and from looking at pictures they look more like white pekin babies than the others (I'd have liked a colored one or two but I want eggs and will use the adults for herding practice with my acd) Hope to heck and back that I got more girls than boys! <g>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by