ducks?!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kookykate328, Jul 10, 2011.

1. kookykate328

kookykate328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    i want to hatch mallard ducks but i cant keep them in my house or yard. i have a lagoon in my backyard though and there are other ducks in it. if i hatched the ducks could i release them into the lagoon once they have grown their feathers and would they stay there learn how to fly and migrate. also im a little worried because there was a fox by my house.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. kookykate328

kookykate328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    anyone?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds like you don't have a good setup for ducks. Having wild ones to watch in the lagoon is nice. If you raise domestic mallards, you put them at a disadvantage if you then release them. They will not be prepared to take good care of themselves. The fox, or some other predator is likely to get to them, and if they have depended on you for food as they matured, they won't quickly adapt for fending for themselves.

I suggest you enjoy watching the ducks already nearby, and when you have a place, and the time, and the ability to raise domestic ducks, you do so then.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree. Ducks raised in captivity do not have the skills to do well in the wild. Some will survive, but most won't. If you really want to raise and release, and have the time and energy for it, you could contact a wildlife rehabber in your area and see if you could help out part time. If you really love it, you could eventually become a rehabber yourself, which would give you an opportunity to be up close and personal with the young of wild animals on a regular basis while helping them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by