ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by the_hunter, Jul 26, 2011.

1. the_hunter

the_hunter New Egg

Feb 24, 2011
    hi
    im thinking about getting into ducks (i have chickens) and i just want to know what breed would be the best to get for decent sized eggs ??

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    what do you consider "decent" sized?
    My 3 pound runners typically give me a "large" or "xlarge" egg.

3. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    I know that larger breeds give larger eggs (Rouens, Pekins, etc.) , but I've heard some of them are poor layers.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    My Runners give me at least a jumbo egg. The larger the duck, the larger the egg generally. Duck eggs do taste a little different than chicken eggs - perhaps a bit stronger. They also tend to lay their eggs in holes that they dig in the ground in my experience.

5. the_hunter

the_hunter New Egg

Feb 24, 2011
    hi lads
    im looking for a large or xl sized egg [​IMG]
    i heard chilterns are good for big eggs ???

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  6. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    Welsh harlequins lay 250 - 365 jumbo eggs a year, they are also very pretty [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you want lots of huge eggs than consider the Silver Appleyard.

Almost any breed of duck is going to lay an egg bigger than a chicken egg. The breeds that lay the most eggs are Khaki Campbell, Runner, Welsh Harlequin.

8. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

It doesnt matter what kind of duck you get. You are still going to get a bigger egg than the largest double jumbo egg in any store [​IMG]

9. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    It really depends, do you want a good laying duck or one that lay giant eggs. If you want a good laying duck then a khaki campbell would probably be the best (they still lay pretty big eggs, but you could get bigger). If you want really big eggs than you could get a cayuga, pekin, or rouen. A pekin with lay big eggs, and will lay pretty frequently (but not as much as khaki campbell). A cayuga will lay big eggs but will not lay quite as much as a pekin. A rouen is will lay big eggs but was not breed for egg purposes, so it does not lay very frequently. You also may want to look at what breeds are good for beginners. I've heard that a pekin is a good duck for beginners, but I stared with a cayuga and everything worked out all right. (I am almost posative that no matter what breed you get, you will still get a decent sized egg). And they do tend to like to lay their eggs in holes in the ground.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  10. Ally Rose

Ally Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    NJ
    Rouen or pekin... or runner

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by