1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

!?DUCKS!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Julie_in_PA, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Julie_in_PA

Julie_in_PA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    WELL ... guess what ... HAHAHA ! ... I'm getting a couple of DUCKS now to ! Ducklings actually. THere's a lady who is overwhelmed with lots of ducks and wants to give me a few for Free. So I told her I guess I'd take 2 or 3. She'll have hatchlings next week. So somtime after they're hatched - I'll be getting them.

NOW - I have NEVER had ducks before ...so what do I need to know ??

I'm under the impression that they can grow up with my peeps and live with them ... right ?
    I realize I need a source of water for them to swim in, so I'm gonna get a kiddie pool for them once they're old enough.

Some of my MAIN questions are :
    1. Can I just stick them in the brooder with my peeps ? My peeps are comming next week.

2. Can they grow up and live with my peeps/chickens ?

3. Do they NEED water to swim in ?

4. Will just 2 or 3 ducks be messy to clean up after (I've heard that ducks are messy buggars)

5. Will they get really tame if I handle them from ducklings ?

btw - I believe they're "Indian Runners."

Do any of you eat duck eggs ? I guess I'll be trying them now.

Speaking of which ... when do ducks start laying ?

Any information would help ... since I know nothing about ducks.

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:

3. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:They will mess up your brooder BIG time! Might want to get another light and box.

2. Can they grow up and live with my peeps/chickens ?

See above! You can certianly - if your peeps will free range then your ducks can free range. I wouldn't put them in your coop unless you have a really big coop and have a seperate area that you won't mind being stinky and disgusting!

3. Do they NEED water to swim in ?

People say no - but to be honest I say yes. At least a kiddie pool.

4. Will just 2 or 3 ducks be messy to clean up after (I've heard that ducks are messy buggars)

Not as messy as 10 - but yes still messy!

5. Will they get really tame if I handle them from ducklings ?

Maybe - I have runners too and they are very flighty for a while but the older ones 12 weeks or so, are much more calm. Can I pet them? No. But they don't run away screaming like I'm gonna eat them for dinner any more.

btw - I believe they're "Indian Runners."

Do any of you eat duck eggs ? I guess I'll be trying them now.

Speaking of which ... when do ducks start laying ?

Any information would help ... since I know nothing about ducks.

This is my first year with these guys but I just had a lady come by to buy two ducks just for eggs. I'll definately eat the eggs when they start laying.

Good luck!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:

5. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Ducks are definitely messy as the others were saying. I keep 6 chickens and have just added 2 white khaki campbells. they all get on fine and share the same shed and run. They are free range during the day and tend to all be in the same part of the field together. My husband eats the eggs and we use them for baking. You need to be careful that the eggs are not laid in poo or dirt as their shells are a bit more porous than chicken shells. They will start to lay at a similar age to chickens and it is said they lay before 9 in the morning. Ducks I have had in the past would rush out of the shed when I let them out and run off down the field to lay in their favourite spot.
    [​IMG]

6. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:

7. Julie_in_PA

Julie_in_PA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    Thanks so much for all the info !!! I learned alot !!!

Hey ... I do have a couple more questions though ...

Do ducks take care of bugs and worms in the yard ?
    Do they take care of small snakes (like Guineas can) ?
    How do they do with dogs ? like chickens ? I mean ... they're not dumb are they ?
    And about the "mess" ducks make ... do they make the yard a big mess if they're free range ?

8. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    bugs, they love them
    worms, sometimes
    dogs, ducks aren't stupid. They can and will run from a predator.
    snakes, don't bet on them killing any snakes
    Mine free range all day and I really don't notice great big piles of duck poo all across the yard. I notice more dog poo than duck.

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    the first day i let mine outside they escaped the yard. Ran across the road into a neighbors yard and met a rottie. Thank god it was a nice one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by