Ducks !

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chelseyb1234, Feb 2, 2013.

1. chelseyb1234

chelseyb1234 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Hi everyone, Im new here and i have three Walsh Harlequin ducks. Two female and one male, they are almost a year old. My boyfriend and I got them as pets becuse i've always loved ducks. Im not very good with duck health and i have some concerns. My one female duck has been sneezing constantly for the past couple of months, thinking it might of just been a cold and would pass.They live in a shed right now because we had to move that didnt have a proper place. I change their bedding every other day like i have read, and feed them fresh food and give them fresh water everyday. So i am worried about her sneezing and it could hurt her health, she also has mucus sometimes coming out of her nose. Can anyone help ?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG].

Is anyone else showing these signs?

What are your temps?

Do they have water deep enough for them to dip their whole beak in?

3. chelseyb1234

Feb 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    The male has just started sneezing about a week ago.

And their home has stayed around 30-40 on most days in the winter, but weather here gets -20 sometimes, but it usually stays around 25-30.

And not inside their home, but they do have a pool and an extra water bowl for them outside when i let the outside for the day. Inside they have one of those water buckets that dont let them dip their heads, only drink from it .

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi and [​IMG] Ducks need to be able to dunk their heads to keep their eyes and nares cleaned out or they run the risk of getting infections. What are you using for bedding? sometimes dust can cause them to sneeze. are you seeing any kind of discharge? also and this can be difficult in the dead of winter but keeping their bedding from getting stinky and wet can help to keep down problems also,

5. Carebearsmiles

Carebearsmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Tahlequah
    X2 on deeper water and constant access.
    Ducks can choke on anything and they are always putting something in their mouth. They use the (at least) bill deep water to clear out their nose and wash down any leftover food. Mine have even blew little feathers out of their nose.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  6. chelseyb1234

Feb 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    I have noticed also my male duck loosing feathers around his eyes, possibly cause of the not dipping heads, but I have a fresh pool outside for them and they never go near it or dip their heads. When they do tho, she just sneezes the whole time doing it, and so does the male.
    I also use just regular hay or straw for their bedding and i clean it very often and try to get it clean as best as i can.
    And the female duck has had mucus coming out of her nose on certain days but not a lot.
    The other female looks perfectly fine, nothing wrong. It's just the other two im worried about .[​IMG]

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Looking through my Storey's Guide, I'd say maybe Chronic Respiratory Disease. Symptoms are coughing, sneezing, thick mucous from nostrils, ruffled feathers. Treatment: antibiotics including: erythromycin and tetracylines. Tylosin is often most effective though hard to find. These may need to be gorren from a vet. Birds can be carriers after recovery and it can be passed to offspring via eggs. Pens and housing need to be thoroughly disinfected.

Here is a link to a diagnostic chart http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/diagnostic chart.htm

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  8. chelseyb1234

Feb 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Thank you for the help ! I will contact a vet for the antibiotics and I hope she gets better .

Does anyone know how to take care of the losing feather in my males eyes ? Or is that normal ?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you post a pic? does the skin look inflamed?

10. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    X3 on the deeper water and access, and [​IMG]!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by