1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken Master1, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    i ordered some black swedish ducks recently. i live in ND so i was wondering if there is any special needs for my ducks because of where i live. I was also wondering how to introduce my ducks to my chickens. Any help out there? i would also like to make a list of things i need if you can help with that.

2. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    i raise mine right with the baby chicks and they did fine , didn't do any thing speacial for them ...

3. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    thanx and [​IMG]

4. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    thank u [​IMG]

5. theduckgirl4110

theduckgirl4110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    don't put the ducklings with the chickens.It is likely the chickens wll pick on the ducklings. wait until their at least four to five weeks old. just saying out of experience.

6. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't do anything special for mine in South Dakota. I know ND is colder but it is subject to the same seasonal changes. Raised inside for 4 weeks then the coop with heat until 6 then a few days with only night heat and then no heat....if it is spring they can just be moved outside. Mine hatched Jan 23 so we had some pretty wicked cold snaps in there. Mine were raised with chicks but partitioned off to avoid the mess they make getting the chicks all icky. When introducing them I use a dog crate so everyone can see eachother and investigate but no one gets hurt then after a week or so I let them out together when I can watch and also when the hens are free ranging. Then after everyone seems to be ignoring eachother again they are all together.

7. theduckgirl4110

theduckgirl4110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Well I guess everyone has their own experience.Have fun!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by