Duckticipation - PIC :D

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wifezilla, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    ....as in anticipating ducks [​IMG]

I have an appointment to pick some up on SATURDAY!!!!

They have khakis AND runners. One of each maybe???

No idea what I will end up with yet [​IMG]

I have been checking the stores right by my house to see if they have duck-friendly supplies. I know I can get stuff at the Big R, but that's quite a ways away from me.

So far I found some alfalfa at Walmart (packaged for bunny munchies), the pet store carries bulk chicken feed (only 16% protein though), pine bedding is readily available, both the pet store and Walmart have dried krill and dried shrimp. There are live critters I can get at the pet store and the kids that work there are very helpful. They were both telling me how fun it was to give ducks feeder fish in a kiddie pool. Well, its fun for the ducks. The fish...not so much [​IMG]

Anyway, the duck hutch is done but I still need to finish the pen. My expenditures on the pen and hutch so far... $19. I had to buy 2 roof panels...everything else is scrap wood and pieces of various junk and stuff that was hiding behind the shed.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Too bad you weren't closer, I'd *give* you my three! [​IMG]

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Yay!!!

I get my chicken foods at Circle F I don't know if they have duck stuff or not. Hmmm

4. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If there weren't so many miles of snow between us, I would come and get them [​IMG]

For me, Circle F is just as far away as Big R, just in the other direction

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  5. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hey, anyone feeding their ducks DUCKWEED?

I hear that is very nutritious. I think I may have to visit the local ponds for a culture [​IMG]

6. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Quote:[​IMG] No doubt! More snow coming for us, it sounds. [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The chicken feed should be ok, as long as it is not medicated. They eat so much so fast that they OD on it. You can get some koi pellets, or 'catfish food' like my dad has, to give them extra protein. It floats, so just toss it into their pool and they'll have a ball! My dad has stopped feeding his fish in the pond, since my ducks live there, they eat most of it before the fish get any anyway! If he had any sense he'd wait till I feed my ducks then feed his fish! You don't have any feed stores near you? If you can find flock raiser, that'd be better for the ducks. It has 20% protein. Good luck with your new babies!!

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am going to take a trip out to Big R, but it is nice to know I have emergency rations available for the little critters. Once spring hits, they will have plenty of forage, it is just the next few months I have to worry about [​IMG]

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If the ducks are adults, the 16% protein will be fine. That is what mine get and I have 5 and 6 year old ducks.
    Dried shrimp and krill are very high in salt and can overload the system. These should be rare and sparing treats if fed at all. I never feed stuff like that.

Feeder fish are fun treat. I feed romaine and other dark green lettuce fresh. They love iceberg lettuce, but I only feed that if we making salad with it and they get the trimmings.

Above all, have fun!

10. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The ducks are adults. I will be sure to watch the salt issue.

Went to Big R since son had a half day at school and I had to leave work early anyway. What a disappointment. Nothing specifically for ducks and most of the chicken feed was medicated. They didn't even have any oyster shells or other grit.

The feed lists "grain product, plant protein product, processed grain by-products, porcine meal and bone" and a bunch of supplements. So basically, it is mystery grain scraps and leftover pork. I think I would be better off feeding them catfood!

Let's see....
    Cat food: "Chicken meal, lamb meal, brown rice, chicken fat, fish oil, garlic oil, dried eggs, brewers dried yeast" and a bunch of supplements. Hummmm. Protein is high, but if I mix that with fresh greens, duckweed, maybe some oats and alfalfa.....hummmmmmm

Anyone see anything bad for ducks in that mix? I already have to buy that stuff in bulk now for 3 useless furballs [​IMG]

Anyway...I wont be going all the way back out there.

I looked in to the price of dried meal worms. YIKES! Unless I breed my own, that isn't going to happen. We do have a lot of worms in our soil, so come spring, that will be cheap, easy food. Between those and the slugs, the earwigs and the rolly pollys, I am going to have some seriously spoiled ducks!

I have a container that I told hubby was designated for kitchen scraps for the ducks. I need to do a refrigerator clean out tomorrow and I have a lot of veggies in there. How fine do I need to chop stuff up for them...like cauliflower stems and leaves? Those are ok...right? I also have some kale stems, celery tops...good start on a duck salad

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by