Duckweed as Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sixlittlechicks09, Jul 20, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hey everyone!
    So my mom's been doing some research about our pond lately. It's not very big, and this year it's COVERED in a thick nasty layer of green scum that's been identified as "Duckweed" [​IMG] After looking online (mostly about how to kill the darn stuff) we came across a few articles written by people who are using duckweed to feed their livestock. Mostly cows, but poultry was mentioned? So I was wondering, do you guys think it'd be a good thing to feed my chickens? We sure have a ton of it! Maybe as just a treat? Has anyone out there tried giving their chickens duckweed? And how do you feed it to them? I was thinking about just scooping it up with a pool skimmer and letting them have at it. I'm sure they'd love the little bugs and stuff too that's swimming around in it!

2. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Anyone?

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I know about duckweed because when I was a college student I worked at the college's Aquaculture unit and I was the one having to skim that mess off the top of the water with a net. Dip them a scoop of it and see ifthey like it, if they do you have found an endless treat.

4. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have a small pond where I raise duckweed, the chickens never go for it, but the ducks just love it. I would say it couldnt hurt, my ducks are 5 yrs and up and still healthy! [​IMG]

5. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    there are 2 main forms of duck weed lesser and greater. one believe it or not is smaller than the other, both high in nitrates tho. but shouldnt harm the birds at all. composts good as well. and you can add it to silage for extra selenium

6. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    If I feed my chicks some duckweed, do I need to dry it or do anything to it first?

7. Gypsylion

Gypsylion Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I keep a huge tropical aquarium (125 gal) and every time I do a super cleanup of duckweed my birds get it all (plus whatever algae or other plants are in the mix). They all LOVE it. As far as I know duckweed is really nutritious, and as long as you aren't using anything in your pond that would hurt the fish/wildlife, it should be totally fine for your birds.

I feed it to the chickens out of my hand, and the ducks in their water tub... [​IMG]

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Duckweed is entirely edible and safe for pretty much all animals. I grew some in my aquariums on purpose to help with water quality. The fish ate a little and about once a week I cleared out half of it and fed it to the guinea pigs. When my guinea pigs all passed I fed it to the birds, rabbits, and hamsters until I took down my last tank a few months ago.

9. grogenheimer

grogenheimer New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    It is very nutritious to chickens and makes for yellower yolks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by