Duckweed Question--Calling All Pond People

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chiknlady, Jul 13, 2008.

1. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    My Mother in law--has a pond overrun with Duckweed. The jury is out on whether it is beneficial or should be removed. She is looking for ideas on how to best manage the plant so her geese and other animals can have access to the pond without so much effort. Any suggestions??

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    I'd sure like some help with that. It invaded our pond a couple years ago and it's an ongoing battle to keep it in check. Duckweed does have some beneficial qualities, but it can be a noxious, uninvited guest.

The ducks & geese can't eat enough of it to keep it at bay (though they do love it), so we've finally had to resort to period sprayings to keep it managed.

If some folks have some ideas on better ways to control it, I'd love to hear some.

3. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    If you want to bag up some of it I would love it for my little pond, the gold fish love it:D

4. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    contact your local dnr office(dept of natural resources)ask if there is a
    grass carp that you could add to your pond to eat the duckweed.i now that our pond has i think 2 of these per acre, and no weeds to speak of.these fish can be purchased as fingerling size and are sterile.all they eat are plants.

5. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Thank You Country Girl!!--That's why I love our flock...

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Wood ducks love to eat the stuff [​IMG]

7. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    According to cooperative extension, grass carp are not useful to control duckweed, though they will eat some of it. Here in PA, you need a permit to get them. I may still try it next time they come available, figure it won't hurt.

8. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    put a bunch in a bucket and sell it to people for their watergardens. My garden shop charges a fortune for a little baggie of the stuff.

9. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I bought 1/4 cup of the stuff off of ebay for $2. Might be a new money making venture for you?

10. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    We get triploid (sterile) Grass Carp every year (raccoons/snapping turtles/washed out during floods/etc.). They don't prefer the duckweed, but will eat it up if that is what is available (we watch them work around in their little school scarfing it down in the evenings).
    Sliders/Cooters (water turtles) are also pretty good at cutting swaths through the stuff. Our `lucky' carp get to looking like dull koi torpedoes after a few years.

You might call your state Extension agent and see if they provide assistance/info on this and other pond/lake related problems (here in Missouri they're pretty good). If the pond is large enough, mechanical removal is an option (`raking'). Limiting high nutrient run-off into pond goes a long way (if possible) towards slowing down the growth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by