1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducky baby time!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dragonshiner, May 7, 2008.

1. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Well I've had my ducklings for four days now. They are a week old and I absolutely adore them. The Khaki campbells are still terrified of me but my lil runner, "Nike", has bonded with me I think. He/she, doesn't run from me, in fact Nike cuddles into my chest when picked up and will follow me around when I take him/her for walks out to the chicken coop and back. When I lift out one of the khakis with Nike They will follow me as long as Nike is in front. If the khaki gets in front it stops following me and Nike follows the other duckling instead.
    What can I do to bond with the rest of my ducklings?
    Also I will be raising them so that they "live" in the chicken coop, but during warm weather will let them free range. How do I train them to stay in the yard? Will they see other ducks fly over head and decide to fly away?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Domestic ducks will not migrate. In fact, they can't even fly well, with the exception of muscovies and domestic mallards.

Ducks are wierd, which is why I like them.
    They will eat from my hand but DON'T TOUCH MEEEEEE! is their attitude.

There is the odd one who will like to hang around you, so you should cultivate that. Don't be hurt if your runner decides to be a duck later and shuns you except at treat time.

Just spend a lot of time with them speaking and moving calmly and bribing them with treats. (Don't over do the treats, though). They will learn to trust you but in most cases won't be cuddly like a goose can be or a dog or cat.

Oh and how dare you describe such cute ducklings without posting pics! [​IMG]

3. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Meep! I'm sorry. I don't have a digital camera except for my cell phone. Otherwise, believe me, I'd be snapping photos left and right of all the ducklings and chicks. Plus my lively children out in the coop.

Thanks for the advice about my duckies. I'm looking forward to raising them and watching them grow exponentially. In fact I can't wait to see them roaming through the yard in a wave of feathers:) If I can't get the Khakis to bond with me I'm going to try my hardest to earn their trust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by