Ducky disorder ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by leepinlarr, Apr 8, 2017.

1. leepinlarr

leepinlarr New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    i have swedish black ducks, a bunch hatched the other day and all seem fine except the two eaten by a predator,
    today i let them out to roam, all was well then i notice one of the duckings hobeling, then a bit later the duck can barely walk at all, then it can only slide along the ground??
    is this a disease or disorder of some kind ?

anyone know, give me a shout please

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What have you been feeding?

3. leepinlarr

leepinlarr New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    scratch grains and starter, also they all free range, so they are getting lots of insects, grass and seed etc

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Very likely could be a niacin deficiency. Stop giving scratch and get some brewers yeast to add to the feed.

5. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Yeah i would stop scractch. And 1 tablespoon brewers or nutritional yeast added per cup of feed. Non medicated chick feed or an all flock/ flock raiser feed

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  6. leepinlarr

leepinlarr New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    thanks for the feed back, guess i'm off to tractor supply Sunday.

i just came in from checking the ducks and he seems to be the only one effected

7. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Thats good. Sometimes there just seems to be one that needs a little extra [​IMG] Hopefully it helps!

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Scratch grain is fine for Ducks...I use classic scratch that contains less corn....The amount you give should be less than the starter...:).....Niacin should be given..
    I hope everything works out....:)

Best wishes....:)

Cheers!

9. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    If one duckling is having trouble it should be stopped for the time being. they will often eat more of the scratch/treats than food.
    So when one is having trouble extra treats should be avoided to be sure they are getting proper nutrition during this stage.
    A little treats and scratch is fine if they arent having trouble, and when adults.

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You seam angry..:(

Scratch is actually not a treat for Ducks it a a great source of nutrition..Ducks can not pick out only what they like..;)...They have Bills and scoop their feed....I start all my Duckling on scratch at 3 weeks old mixed with the starter and then the grower ...The feed is not the issue with the Duckling...Either it tripped or needs niacin...?

:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by