1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducky intelligence?? Training to go into the duck house.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Jul 20, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Our two Khaki Campbell ducklings are about a six weeks old. We have a duck house with a ramp going into it, that the other 4 ducks learned to go in and out of fairly easily. These two just don't seem to be able to understand the concept of going up the ramp and into the house for safety. We have tried making a funnel of coolers (like we did with the other ducks) to show them where to go, actually putting them on the ramp to get them to go in and out, having the other ducks lead them in, and I even got inside the coop today again to show them how to go in and out, but they don't seem to get it. Thought at first they were avoiding going in with the "old" flock, but even with the other ducks in a separate pen and me putting them on the ramp, it doesn't seem to take. Have put food and water inside the house and they still will not go inside without being shown how to get in. With the first group of ducks, after a couple attempts showing them how to get inside, once it started to get dusk, they would go in on their own. They are a little younger than when we introduced the first group to the house, could that be the problem? Any suggestions?[​IMG]

The first group learning to use the ramp - that was easy!

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    To introduce them to their new house, I sprinkled a trail of peas up the ramp and we had a pea party, first thing. My runners have always been good about going into their house.

3. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Thanks!

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Geeez cant get mine to go in at night either...have to leave to put them in now. [​IMG]

5. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    What kind of ducks do you have? I really wonder whether these Khaki's actually have some runner in them from the way they run.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    newbyduckmom,

I have runners. and KC's were bred from runners, rouens and mallards.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'd try a row of peas. However i know how you feel my biggest drake is a dope..everyone else walked over to the run.. him? nope he goes off to the side trying to figure out how did the others get on the other side [​IMG] some just don't seem to be as quick on getting with the program [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by