"Ducky" is missing (I think I saw him today!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by desertdarlene, Nov 12, 2010.

1. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Ducky was the last wild duckling to hatch at the lake, so he was pretty easy to identify whenever I saw him because he was the youngest looking and usually the fuzziest. I called him the "lost" duckling for a while because because after seeing him for almost two weeks, he disappeared. He reappeared in another part of the lake a few weeks later with his little fuzzy behind and without his mama.

Ducky began hanging around a group of three ducklings that were only two weeks older than him. He and the male liked to hang around the picnic tables, hoping people would have food. He would station himself around the area and I would always know where to find him. Here's a video of him and his friend wandering around the picnic table area:

Sorry, I don't really have a video camera, I was using a snapshot camera that had video capabilities.

Now, he's about thirteen or fourteen weeks old and he's disappeared! His friends are still in the same area, but I can't find him. This is a total turn-around in behavior for him, at least for the last month or two. Do you think he might be getting those male hormones and have started to travel around looking for girls in other places?

I am not at my home computer, I will post more photos of him later, including his tiny baby pictures.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I hope it is just hormones...or that he will be back in his usual place tomorrow. The video was gorgeous.. And funny thing is..I had a tears welling in my eyes...must have been the music...I always cry when watching youtube vidoes with music like that even when they are happy videos like of your ducks!!! I am such a sook at times [​IMG]

3. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks! So far, I haven't seen him in five days. They all get fed at the same time, but sometimes they all disperse very quickly and I can't find all my favorites. He's very healthy and happy, so I don't think a predator got him, but he is pretty curious and friendly and I don't think he has much of a fear of dogs, either. But, I would have heard of any incidents with dogs if something had happend and there would be "evidence".

I was sad when I "lost" him the first time. I'll let everyone know if he comes back. When I get home, I'll dig his baby photos out.

4. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Here are some pics with Ducky as he grew up.

The first time he went missing, it wasn't too unusual. Every duckling at that lake went missing between 10 and 15 days old except three. But, there were so many hawks in the area where he was last seen, I wasn't sure. Most of the "missing" ducklings usually showed up to get fed when they were about four to five weeks old more or less.

I think he was about 10 days old here. I used to sit on a bench to eat a snack and he would come up to me at that age:

[​IMG]

This is him at about two months old:

[​IMG]

Here is one of the last photos I took of him last week, just starting to get his green head:

[​IMG]

I couldn't find any photos of him as a tiny, tiny duckling, though I know I have them because I posted them on my blog back in August. He was really shy when he first hatched. He had two siblings that died young, probably because their mom wasn't very attentive at first.

They've quieted down a little on the construction in the area, so maybe he went back to where he hatched.

I want to make a slideshow of him growing up until he gets his green head.

5. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I think I saw him today with his two adopted siblings, but I can't be sure. I didn't have my binoculars to look at the markings on his bill (plus, he wouldn't turn around, either or kept sticking his bill under his feathers), but I'm sure it was him. He's the youngest and the only one who has just started to get a green head. His older friend is about half way through his molt. I will try to get photos of him tomorrow.

6. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I saw Ducky today, he's looking a bit thin and gets pecked on by a lot of the drakes. But, he is doing OK so far.

[​IMG]
    Ducky! 11/15/2010 by desertdarlene, on Flickr

7. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    oh, i am so glad you found ducky.
    yes, he is looking a little thin.
    but still here.

beth

8. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't know how he got so thin, but a lot of the ducks are looking thin, lately. I think they're discouraging people from feeding them, that's why. He still looks healthy, though, as are most of the other ducks. He didn't seem overly hungry or anything. I think he's not foraging enough like the other ducks, or perhaps he's not as hungry because he's molting.

9. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    yeah, i think that molt puts them off their food.
    even my parakeets act crazy.
    screeching and fluttering like mad to get rid of the old,
    and i fill up the dish, and still they complain.

i am so glad you found him again.
    here i am in michigan thinking about ducky,
    sending good thoughts.

PS
    i think i saw some gadwallers (sp?) today.
    quacking and floating in the pond.

10. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:Thanks for the good thought. We have a few gadwalls too. I took photos of them today and put it on my blog. A juvenile seagull jumped on them, but they were OK. Either the seagull hasn't learned how to land well or he was playing with them. After he landed, he didn't bother them anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by