Ducky Problem! Attacked :( Flesh wounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PrideFarm, Jul 24, 2013.

1. PrideFarm

PrideFarm In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Hello from Pride Poultry Farm!

We woke up this morning to do our daily routine and noticed that one of the ducks was attacked. (picture posted)

It is a 7-8 week old black duck-runner mix. The sex is still unknown. I bought the duck from a local farmer who was unsure of the father. It clearly shows now that the father was black-duck since the mother was a runner. Strange breed I have in it.

As you can see in the picture, it's feather were plucked from its back and no where else. The duck can walk,run. and swim just fine like before. This is where I need you help!

First, I am unsure what the attack was. He is in a pen with other ducks (Pekin, Runners, Black Ducks, and Call Ducks) that are all the same age except for the 2 black ducks. The 2 black ducks I have are a week older than the one attacked and they are mean. I don't know if it is showing who the alpha is, breeding, or another predator. None of the other ducks were hurt.

Second, should I seperate the attacked duck, or the other 2 older ones, or both in different pens.

Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    I would separate the attacked duck, at least until it heals and grows in feathers in the bare areas. Birds like picking at exposed flesh, so I wouldn't take any chances by leaving it in with the other ducks. If I had to guess which birds attacked him (unless it was a predator?), I would say it was one or both of the two older, mean black ducks. Unless any other attacks occur, though, I don't think removing the two mean ducks is necessary. They were probably just showing their dominance to the attacked duck.

3. PrideFarm

PrideFarm In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Thank you so much for the advice. We will give it a try.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    You're welcome! [​IMG]

5. PrideFarm

PrideFarm In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    His feathers grew back nice and healthy. We haven't had a problem since. Thank you again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: