Ducky problems!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat Lover 3, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Goat Lover 3

Goat Lover 3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    I have two pet female & male Ancona ducks. Recently, I noticed the drake has been trying to bite! Once, when my dad walked up to the hen (named Rosie) and then he walked away, the drake put his neck low to the ground, run at my dad with his mouth open (like was ready to bite!) then walks back to my hen and starts quacking? Today, while both ducks were in the nesting box, I reached in to grab Splash, and he put his neck down, and opened his mouth and tried to bite my hand. I think he thought I was trying to grab the hen. Anyways, is there a way to stop him from acting like this, or is it just something drakes do to protect the hens?
    I'm not going to eat him or get rid of him unless he gets really mean.​

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They have developed a pair bond and it is quite normal for him to defend his mate. He would do the same thing if another drake approached his mate.

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Sounds like normal duck behavior to me.

4. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I figured it's probably normal. Is there a way I can stop him biting though?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Don't get between him and 'his girl'. Understand that he may become more aggressive in the spring.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When he's on the ground and starts after you or someone else turn around and put your arms out from you body like a big ole drake and go after him. He will most likely turn tail and run. If he doesn't then take the broom with you and sweep him away [not to hurt him but to just let him know his behavior is not acceptable]

7. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Yes, I have been doing this. It's just hard to grab her sometimes with him around.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I very seldom grab mine, I know there are occasions when we have to [clipping a wing or administering some kind of med, but most ducks don't like to be held. So maybe stop trying to grab her evidently your drake is perceiving it as some kind of threat. Still though if he is threatening to attack or acting aggressive then that does need to be delt with. Does he only do this when you are trying to grab his mate?

9. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
    If I walk away from them, the drake will hold his head low to the ground and chase me a little and then he'll walk back to the hen. If I'm holding the hen while I'm standing up, the drake will stand close to me and just watch. When I'm holding her while I and sitting on the ground, he will walk up to me and start pecking my hands and arms, trying to free the hen. I know the male's instincts are to protect the female, but I don't want him to be mean. I have a male goat that started getting mean, and I didn't do anything about it. Now I can't do much with him. ​

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How long have you had them? sounds a lot like my one drake but he was raised by me since his mama rejected him and they can totally not understand where they fit in the family when hand raised. I had to work with him daily to finally get him to understand climbing up my leg or jumping on my back or biting my foot and hand wasn't acceptable behavior. I began treating him like another drake would, I would get him down flat on his belly and hold him that way till he quit struggling to get up. Only on his belly though not his back. It's not a solution that was fixed over night but he is over 2 yrs now and I can still pick him up and snuggle him, and occasionally have to discipline him too. If you try this technique be sure to hold just firm enough that he can't get up and with 2 hands one at top of body other at base of tail.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by