Ducky

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DuckysGran, Apr 25, 2016.

1. DuckysGran

DuckysGran Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    My daughter has a one month old baby chicken, he's kind of a stray. My neighbor took in an abandon rooster and then got him a hen. Down the line we ended up with Ducky. I have NEVER been around chickens before is there anything I should watch for and if I suspect gape worm (just from googling) does it hurt to treat them as a precaution? And one more thing when will I know if Ducky is a he or she? [​IMG]

2. chloechicks

chloechicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    I am not sure about the gape worm, but as far as gender, it will be easier to sex around 2 months old. Gender is never 100% until a crow is heard or an egg is layed. The saying is: you never know until they crow

3. unionhillchix

unionhillchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2014
    canon ga
    [​IMG] I'm not sure on the gape worm either. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post soon. As for the gender, I would say pullet. Nothing 100%!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Why do you think this chick could have gapeworm? Have you researched the symptoms?

6. DuckysGran

DuckysGran Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    I researched because I had no idea chickens yawned and that came up quite a bit! I don't think she has it though, she seems to really just yawn after a long day of running around, may just be tired! But with my daughter loving her so much I want to make sure I do everything to keep her healthy!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by