Ducky's Bill is turning green

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Betsih, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Betsih

Betsih New Egg

Sep 14, 2012
    Hi!

I haven't been in to post for a while because I've been able to find answers to my questions here in the forums or other places. However, I do have one that is rather puzzling. From my first order of 8 ducklings, only 1 survived, Lucky. In the replacement shipment of 7, 6 survived. We have 7 in total, 6 Pekin and 1 Buff. All seem healthy and happy. I have a Pekin, Ducky (named by my nephew) who has a VERY pale bill and it seems to be green, like it's molding. While they are 5-6 months old, I have yet to determine if this is a male or female. Some days some of the tail feathers are curled, other days there are no curly feathers. Not that it really matters to us. [​IMG]

It eats well, plays well, and seems just fine. Could this be a vitamin deficiency or other problem. They are currently getting a food called "All Flock grower pellets" (This is all we can get locally and have been told it's for Geese, ducks, and turkey), but will be switching to layer pellets with the next food purchase. The bill is firm and feels like the others. When it was a baby, it arrived with a pale pink bill, which, as I understand it can be normal.

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I think it is just natural sun coloring. Mine did that and he seems fine! You know if it quacks then a girl and if it kind of hisses then it's a boy!

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    It's bill is fine. Drake curls don't come and go. They are also very curled not just a little.

And they look like this
    [​IMG]

4. Betsih

Betsih New Egg

Sep 14, 2012
    Thank you!

I was really hoping it wasn't anything serious. I'm glad it's nothing at all. LOL

So, it looks like we've got 4 females and 3 males.

5. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Hey cool! Now at least you can name them all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by