Ducling brooder on the right track?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by laurenhomer, May 24, 2018.

1. laurenhomer

laurenhomer Chirping

Apr 20, 2015
    we picked up 3 cutie pie 10 day old Peking ducks today. I’ve got them in the trough with water food and an eco brooder. We gave them lots of outside and swim time when we got home, dried them off and showed them the eco brooder. They’re snuggled up there now. Can anyone offer anything that I’m missing or should do differently? And if anyone can determine duck vs drake id love to know. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Jpat

Jpat Songster

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Looks great! They will need a coop soon its shocking how fast they grow

Cute pictures are welcome 24/7

3. Emmaxx

Emmaxx Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    UK
    Maybe change their food and water around so the water is on top of the grate? Maybe try it for a few days each way and see which is less messy for you?

Too early for sexing :(

MatthewsHomestead likes this.
  4. happy duck

happy duck Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    That looks so cozy! Looks great!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. laurenhomer

laurenhomer Chirping

Apr 20, 2015
    Thanks everybody - they seem happy enough. My son cut a portion of a big plastic mixing bowl and we put the milk jug in it to try to contain some of the water so we’ll see what that does for now. May try a plastic lidded container with a half circle cut out - has anyone tried that?

The kids can’t get enough - and I keep finding excuses to go check on them too!

6. Jpat

Jpat Songster

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    the lidded container works well

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks good to me!

Lil Drake40 and Miss Lydia like this.

8. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Free Ranging

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Nice set up and cute ducklings! :thumbsup

9. laurenhomer

laurenhomer Chirping

Apr 20, 2015
    I’ve moved the duckies out to live with the chickens and goats. Right now they are in the chicken run at Night - until last night separated but visible to the chickens - and in the goat run with their kiddie pool during the day. My question is feeding them - not quite sure how as the chickens wont let them near the food at night and the goats gobble it up during the day. My son is building a duck house to plop down inside the goat run where they will sleep at night. I would prefer not to have their food in there as it’s not that big and there will be the added mess. Also - we have had some predator issues but I’m hoping that having the goats in the run with the ducks will keep them
    Somewhat safe. Thoughts? Our biggest problem has been coyotes weasels and raccoons. None of which have bothered the goats. The chicken run is Fort Knox but not a great spot for the ducks to swim. Thanks.

MatthewsHomestead likes this.
  10. Jpat

Jpat Songster

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    coyotes love a good goat supper

Any pictures? i love seeing others set ups

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by