1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duct tape+ downy chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Delmara, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Delmara

Delmara Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2016
    Wills Point, TX
    [​IMG]My poor Sweetie found a patch of duct tape!! T^T We cut off as much as we could, but there's still around an inch by an inch and a half stuck beneath her left wing. I tried looking for a solution, but all I found was vegetable oil which I'm not sure the chick should be eating...not that it should be eating duct tape either. She's probably no more than a week old and seems to be doing mostly alright, foraging for food, but I'd like to get it off her pronto!! HELP!!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    You could try coconut oil. :) That's safe to ingest.

Otherwise, maybe let it grow off?? I have no idea! The "pull it off like a bandaid" concept comes to mind, but I wouldn't want to rip off a bandaid the size of my body off, either.

Let us know what you try!

MrsB

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    WD 40 and fingernail polish remover (acetone) will remove tape. Both of those are pretty strong for a chick, so if you use one of those, I would use some soap and water afterward to wash it off.

4. szczur

szczur Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    I'd try the veggie oil before WD 40, and probably not nail polish remover if it has a smell. I once accidentally gassed my poor pet mouse to death with tea tree oil. It had some kind of hair loss fungus I was attempting to treat. Keep in mind their lungs are very small and fragile at this point. Don't make my mistake!

5. Delmara

Delmara Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2016
    Wills Point, TX
    [​IMG]It's OFF!!! I used some organic, non-gmo sunflower oil we had in the cupboard and swabbed it over her side and under the tape using a cotton swab. A couple minutes of dabbing, waiting, rubbing, and gentle pulling later I have a tape free chick...who's left side is coated in oil. She's already in the time out room with her brat of a sister (Freckles) and working on cleaning her oily feathers.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by