Duct tape on curled toes...HELP

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chick100, Jun 23, 2016.

1. chick100

chick100 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Would like credible help please:
    I have 3 newly hatched chicks and one has curled toes. So in my panic to try to fix it...I used duct tape. Yes it was dumb...I know that now. But he/she can't walk at all like her little buddies can. So seeing that, I thought, why don't I take it off abd use masking tape, I mean it's lighter, right? So I took her out of the incubator and set to work and quickly realized that duct tape, stuck to itself, is IMPOSSIBLE to get off. In the process her nail started to bleed a bit. What do I do? Do I take steps to take it off now? Or wait until her toes are straight, and then try? Help needed please!! And she just hatched this morning.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could try a little salad oil, or cold cream or baby oil to loosen up the duct tape, then you will have to clean off the foot or else nothing will stick to the site. People generally use bandaids. Don't make anything too tight or it will cut off circulation

Please be very gentle baby chicks are frail, and you can easy injure them. Put baby chick/curled toes in the search box it should bring up some articles about it.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already from Diva, so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  5. chick100

May 4, 2016
  6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    For me the longer the very strong duck tape stays on the harder it's going to be to get off, especially if any has got stuck to the skin. Just my own experience with that tape but she is your chick and its your call.

7. chick100

May 4, 2016
    Ok Thank you, that makes sense. I'll see what adive I get on another thread and make a decision. Thank you.

8. chick100

May 4, 2016
    Or anyone else who has suggestions...

9. poodlechicks

poodlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    NY
    I had duct tape stuck to two chicks at the same time. It was like a two headed monster running crazily around the brooder. To make matters worse, they were trying to pull themselves apart.
    I freed them using a q tip dipped in vegetable oil and gently working the oil into the adhesive part of the duct tape. It takes a little time and patient, but it will work.

10. poodlechicks

poodlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    NY
    *patience

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by