duct tape on newly healed skin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mahabharat, Sep 12, 2011.

1. mahabharat

mahabharat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    virginia
    howdy. back in june, one of my hens was scalped from ears down to shoulders on the back of her neck. she is significantly healed now (thanks, blukote!!!). however, the roo keeps climbing up on her. when he does, he holds on to the back of her neck and pulls open the newly healed skin. she has developed a large scap (about the size and shape of a quarter) that will not heal.

at this time, i can not isolate her. so, for now, can i cover the wound with duct tape without doing further damage to the new skin? must cover it somehow to protect it so healing can continue. thanks.

ralph

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    No....
    But if you find wide painters tape, that is a better idea. Since it's less sticky, it won't tear the skin and feathers out. Can you make a shirt or something for her?

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I was just looking at your signature line and noted that you have two roos with approx. 12 hens? Your hens might have trouble with that many roos. One alternative is to get more hens. The usual roo to hen ratio that I have seen recommended on BYC is 1:8 to 1:12 for the well-being of the hens.

I mention that as an aside, since that info. might help you in the future. [​IMG]

I have never used duct tape on a hen, but I did read in my new magazine (past issue) this:
    http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/1/1-6/Joyce_Dixon.html

4. mahabharat

Jul 22, 2010
    virginia
    ah! painter's tape! have that - will try that first. thanks.

and my signature line is wrong. i have to fix that. i'm down to one roo and 11 hens, but i have a broody hen clamped down on 9 eggs, so i'm sure my roo count is about to go up. [​IMG]

ralph

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Waterproof bandaids!!! They are thin, flexible and strong! Make sure the skin is dry and then adhear to skin. Might have to pluck a few feathers around the area? It will move with skin and not have big ends they will peck at. Maybe put one on top of the other? They also have blister bandaids that stay on open skin until it heals up to a week. They are more rubbery but great! I would use these! I just used the waterproof ones on my hens bumblefoot surgery last night and I am SOOO happy with them!!!

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Ahhhh.... well I hope everything works out with your little hen!!!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I had a thought about using duct tape and putting a smaller strip against the other side, then putting it around her neck loosely (but not too loose) like a choker necklace. That way you could just cut it off when she heals or it gets dirty.

8. mahabharat

Jul 22, 2010
    virginia
    Quote:this is definitely worth a try. no feather's to pluck - her nickname, since being scalped, is "bare-neck chicken"... i have lovely children. [​IMG] only concern with this solution is can the band-aid hold up to roo-riding? we'll see. thanks!

9. mahabharat

Jul 22, 2010
    virginia
    Quote:this was similar to my original plan. i have heard of folks making "aprons" for bare-back chickens from duct tape. but there is a huge amount of new, thin skin on the back of this hen's neck and i'm concerned that the roo will pull on the duct tape (when mounted) and continue to damage the skin underneath... will try a few of these solutions over the next weeks and see how it goes.

10. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    LOL! Seeing that I don't have any roos for my girls, I don't know how well it will stand up while getting it on! LOL! (I was going to make a joke here about me having no prob using them, etc...but that's not needed here...BaHAHAHA!!!! [​IMG] ) Mamma likes it rough! I mean your chickens....I mean...

Give it a try! LOL! I would say a blister bandaid or a couple waterproof ones? They are pretty strong but don't know how it will work for tallon ripping! At least if you DO use duck tape the wound will be protected underneath using the bandaids....and not be ripped up???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by