1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

duct tape saddles?? I want to hear more

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    On another post, someone said that one could use saddles or duct tape, well my saddles were in the dust with in days. But some are getting barer and barer.

Please describe what and how you do it!

MrsK

2. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
  3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like that would irritate a bare spot? [​IMG]

4. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I would like to hear others that have tried this. The article mentioned nasbua tape R357 specifically. Did you use this or just regular duct tape?

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    bump -Anyone here do this? Please give specifics. As for irritation, mine are getting irritated from the sun, bugs and more matings.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    wonder if it would work on bare necks? one of my lower end girls has a bare neck from the pecking order- also you can get aprons from folks here on byc that work well, i was thinking, wouldn't duck tape rip the feathers?

7. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
  8. offleashk9

offleashk9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Hesperia, CA
    This was a disaster for me.
    The chicken got the bottom half off within a min. Then the tape kind of folded and stuck to itself and I had get my stepdad, who happened to be visiting, to help cut off what he could, except the bits that were still stuck to the upper back feathers. I feel horrible... I didn't try this method to save money, I just thought it would stay on longer than the cloth saddles. Gonna buy some proper saddles soon.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How many roosters and hens do you have? Maybe a simpler solution would be to get rid of some roosters? Or separate your hens and roo for awhile to give them a break.

10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The title got my attention! I've sewn and custom fitted any number of saddles to hens with bald problems on every imaginable body area. Hens will almost always figure a way to get the thing off, and I'll find it covered in dust in a dark corner of the pen. I've had to redesign a saddle any number of times before I can make a saddle escape proof for a certain hen.

The hardest area to deal with is the neck. I've managed to design a saddle to cover the wing shoulders as well as the back and tail, but have never come up with a design to keep the neck protected while new feathers grow in.

I think duct tape just may be the answer! Heavens no, not applied directly to the feathers! By wrapping some material, maybe gauze roll bandage, around the neck, then applying duct tape on top, you would come away with a nice "neck sleeve", rigid enough it wouldn't collapse and expose the bald neck, but flexible so as to be comfortable. When the feathers have grown back, you can just scissor it off. I have a girl right now who has exactly this problem. I'll try it out and get back to you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by