1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dud Eggs...Dog Food....Day 18 and Countin'

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shogun99, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    So I'm on Day 19 now and I candled my eggs last night. There were 5 that I KNOW were duds, so thinking a little GREEN, I decided to crack them open and see what was inside. Nothing but yolk thankfully. Angus (the dog) got a real treat as he got to munch on 1 mixed breed egg and 4 banty eggs.... I'd rather had the chicks than given him a meal though.

I was thinking this morning...do you think it will make the dog sick since they were in the bator for 18 days? I know dogs have pretty resilient stomachs. He seems ok today...maybe a little gas, but generally ok!

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:I usually throw mine away, because if I gave them to my dogs, they would eat them be outside all day and then puke in the bed right beside me in the middle of the night [​IMG]

Of course that is a theory based on my dogs only and their previous behavior.....

Not sure , I don't think I would make a habit of doing it, could carry bacteria.

EWWWW on the gas, can you imagine the smell of that,,,,,, incubated egg farts [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  3. ejones1961

ejones1961 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    West TN
    [​IMG]
    That is funny, but true

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  4. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Update on the Dog...he's doing fine. I gave him some yogurt and cottage cheese and the farts went away. He's a bulldog so he's always a little gassy, but you never know. The cottage cheese and Yogurt always helps when he gets OVERTLY flatulent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by