Dud hens???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KYBOY, Apr 17, 2008.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    I guess I have three dud hens [​IMG] I have six golden comet X white rock hens. Three have been laying an egg a day(for the most part) for since they started a couple months ago. The other three havent layed a thing [​IMG] I started with a light coming on at 4:30 Am a few days ago for extra light. hopefully something will jar loose. Do you think I just have three duds that need culled??? They should have been laying months ago [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I wouldn't cull them. Hens start laying when they are ready. I have RIR hens and they all started laying at different times.

Dorothy

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They do take time to get ready. I find the ones who develop more before starting will lay longer and be healthier longer. The earliest girl I ever had to start laying laid well for about a year and ended up becoming an internal layer. I still have her and she hasn't laid eggs in a few years.

4. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Ive raised chickens all my life and I dnt think Ive ever had hens take this long to lay. I mean their almost 10 months old..The other three didnt start until they around 7-8 months old. I kinda contributed that to the odd time they were born and the winter months. Ill deffinitly not raise any stock from these, thats for sure.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by