dud layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jotee, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jotee

jotee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

I have 4 different breeds of chickens (two of each) I have raised them from day olds. They are approx. 24 weeks old. Only one chicken has started to lay (American Dominique) She is not even the the most mature looking of the bunch. My husband thinks they are all duds! Any thoughts, ANYONE!
    P.S. they do free range but we leave them in until late morning and let them out after the one lays her egg.

2. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    If you are not using additional light, they may take longer to lay. Mine are 23 weeks and even with light I can only say 5 of 12 are laying. 24 weeks is not that old & later laying may make for a healthier life. JMHO

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Some breeds take longer to start laying than others. Give them a bit more time and make sure they are not hiding eggs when they are out free ranging. My chickens lay most of their eggs in the morning, but I've gotten eggs as late as 17:00 before, so make sure they don't sneak off and lay under a bush somewhere when you let them out!
    By the way, I love your avatar pic. Very cute!

4. jotee

jotee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    I am using additional light...It comes on just at dark and goes off two hours later. Approx. 14hrs of light....What wattage is appropriate? Can it be too dull? Thank you for your advice, I will just be patient and wait.......:)

5. jotee

jotee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks, I will keep an eye on the bushes. The one hen laying does use the box, hopefully her friends will take her lead...thanks!

I agree, the picture is really cute. Probably should have found a really cute chick picture though, more appropriate...:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by