Dude looks like a lady.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensarethenewblack, Jul 19, 2010.

1. chickensarethenewblack

chickensarethenewblack Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Framingham, Ma
    We currently have eight hens. Two of these eight ladies were very young when they joined our flock (9 weeks). Now, at ~20 weeks old, one of the little pullets is larger than the other, and has become (quite recently) very aggressive to some of the other older chickens. I also thought I heard some crowing from the backyard when I came to free them of their nightly imprisonment. I know that these two are light Brahmas, but don't know if they are Bantam or standard sized.

Can anyone tell whether I've got a dude in disguise here? I'm a little new to the chicken business, and as a result, can't tell if this rooster looks like a lady (or vice versa).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4809411080/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4809411022/in/photostream/

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I don't really know much about these chickens but sorry, it kind of looks like a roo to me, there is already a noticable difference in the size of the combs, the comb of the bird in question is already much bigger and much redder so i think its a roo, especcially if it is so aggresive and you thought you heard crowing, so sorry but i think you have got a dude in disguise here, sorry... [​IMG]

*edited to change question to crowing, whoops... lol

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Yes, you have a cockerel/roo. First picture he is on the left, second picture he is the chicken on the bottom. Pretty birds [​IMG]

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I seem to be looking at saddle feathers and hackles on your bird, so yep, I think you've got a he-bird there.

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I think the big 1 is a roo ask in the brahma thread. but they may both be roos, but there is a noticeable difference

6. chickensarethenewblack

chickensarethenewblack Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Framingham, Ma
    We have been commenting for weeks how beautiful the bigger one was getting. I just thought the little one was runty... her feathers didn't come in as fast as the bigger one. She was just smaller. It wasn't until I saw the bigger one attacking our Orpington this morning (who's top bird, by the way), that I thought maybe she was a he. I mean, this Brahma jumped on the shoulders of the Orpington and grabed a whole bunch of feathers on the side of her head and started to pull! This happened at least twice. I isolated the little agressive one as punishement.

I'm sad that she is probably a he. We are not allowed to have a rooster in our town. Now I'm not sure what to do with him/her.

7. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Never judge a book by it's cover,
    Or who you're gonna love by your lover,
    Love put me wise to her love in disguise,
    She had the body of a venus,
    Lord imagine my surprise

All right, that, that, Dude looks like a lady !!!!

Doesn't seem to have Steven Tylers lips though! That's a good thing on a chicken, probably [​IMG]

Now I have to go listen to the song....

8. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Yes, you have a cockerel/roo. First picture he is on the left, second picture he is the chicken on the bottom. Pretty birds

Agreed..[​IMG]

9. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

He is a roo but there is only one, those pictures do not show two roos.
    Beautiful pair of birds...too bad you can't keep him.

10. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry...I thought someone said they may both be roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by