Dude Looks Like A Lady?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by albi1cnobi1, Aug 20, 2014.

1. albi1cnobi1

albi1cnobi1 New Egg

Aug 20, 2014
    Hi everyone. Let me start off by apologizing for my newbie questions. My wife and I are fairly new to the chicken game. We've had 3 hens for about a year and a half now. We know their sex for the obvious reason, they're all laying. We "rescued" 2 chickens from our local feed store. Someone brought them in because they didn't want them anymore. I'm not sure of their ages or their sex for that matter. They appear to be different ages. The one, a barred rock looks to be the younger of the two. The other one I'm not sure of the breed, is an off white or cream color and looks older. Can anyone give me an estimate of their ages and sexes? The one I'm most concerned about is the larger one. He/she isn't crowing but today it jumped on the back of one of our hens. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Your links are not working.

3. albi1cnobi1

albi1cnobi1 New Egg

Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  4. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

X2

5. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi albicnobi1 and [​IMG]\

For some reason your links had embedded gobbldygook. Here are corrected ones:

http://s777.photobucket.com/user/albi1cnobi1/media/Chickens/photo2_zpsdf482ce8.jpg.html

http://s777.photobucket.com/user/albi1cnobi1/media/Chickens/photo21_zpsd65c36b3.jpg.html

The bad news is that the white one is for sure a boy, or I assume its bad news. The dead give away is the red leakage of color on his otherwise white shoulders. This is a very common thing for mixed breed roosters. He looks like he is starting to grow in some curves sickle feathers (tail) that is characteristically boy, too. I am guessing 14-18 weeks but could be a little older depending on the breed.

The other one is partially hidden by the friend, so I can't really tell one way or the other. It looks like it is a crested bird with barring and white legs. Maybe a Cuckoo Marans cross (with something that has a crest but not a Silkie). Perhaps if you could post better pictures---one from he side and then one with a from the front head shot to see the comb, that would be helpful! As for age, again hard to guess without a better picture. It may be the same age as the friend and just smaller breeds going into the mix, or if you are lucky a pullet since they are typically smaller than the boys.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  6. albi1cnobi1

albi1cnobi1 New Egg

Aug 20, 2014
    Thanks for the response, dretd. That is unfortunate. I guess it's our fault for not knowing our chickens, lol! I'll try to post some pics of the smaller one.

P.S. Thanks for fixing the links! [​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The mostly white one is definitely a rooster. However, at least going by these photos, I think the barred one is a hen.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    White on is a cockerel, but I think that the barred is a pullet.

9. albi1cnobi1

albi1cnobi1 New Egg

Aug 20, 2014
    Thanks everyone. This confirms my suspicions. Last night the white one tried to mount one of my girls for the first time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by