Due date is Friday!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jewels1935, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Hi everyone! My broody silkie is hatching 5 eggs and their due for the 18th. I picked one up yesterday, and thought I heard a faint chirp. No pips yet, but it's only day 19. My hen moved her eggs over about 3 inches and since hasn't budged. I've candled the eggs every 5 days and seen all 5 eggs are keepers. I'm sitting on my hands and only looking when I clean around her nest. She's in my large laundry hamper, inside. She's so broody, the stubborn girl wont move for anything! She poops outside the nest, but extends her bottom, so she doesn't move off the nest. So, I clean the poo everyday;-)

2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Good luck! [​IMG]

Remember not to mess with the eggs after the 18th day of incubation!
    No touching, let momma do the work! [​IMG] Defiantly update us on when
    they hatch!

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have 13 silkie eggs due Friday also!!!! Im anxious to see who all will hatch! Good luck!!

4. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Thanks everyone! I have a quick question..why would mom keep shifting her body around? I have her in a large laundry hamper with food and water. It's in an ideal area..dark and quite, no drafts. She never leaves the nest but you'll find her facing a different direction several times a day. She's eating/drinking and pooing normal. I've heard mother hens will STOP moving the eggs around the last few days.

Thanks!

Edit..she's inside my house. She made her 1st nest outside in a really bad area, so I brought her indoors where she's been for 3 weeks. The hamper is large and she has plenty of room.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Maybe she's just hoping for a more interesting view. Sitting for 3 weeks must get boring... [​IMG]

6. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Maybe she's just hoping for a more interesting view. Sitting for 3 weeks must get boring... [​IMG]

Well she's out of luck then...all she can see is a curtain, tv (never on) and toilet lol She would be better off picking her book back up and dealing with it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  7. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    I was expecting a Friday hatch, as well. At least that was until last night, while working on my computer, I heard peeps. After observing, I saw several large chips in 4-5 eggs and some beaks poking out. I hadn't even taken the eco 20 off the turning cradle yet. I was planning on going into lock down before going to sleep. What a exciting surprise! Good Luck to you!

8. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Wow! Were the eggs early or did you mis count the days? So glad everything went well! I'm a basket case right now..I really thought I heard chirping yesterday, but nothing today. No pips even.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by