Due to mistake I now have very DIRTY BIRDS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wateredgarden11, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Wateredgarden11

Wateredgarden11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I don't know if I have made a mistake, but I read on this forum a few days ago that sand was ok for chicks. The pine shavings were so messy that I took them out of the chick's play area( still using them in the box where they sleep under light) and my husband put in regular sand from Lowes. NOT play sand..oy my chicks loved it and immediately did the dust bath dance..they look horrible now..lol I do not mind the look so much but I am worried that we used the wrong type of sand. It is not the nice white play sand. Will this make my chick's sick? Should we remove that quickly and get play sand instead?

2. Wateredgarden11

Mar 25, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Oops forgot to add that they are about 13 days old and I have them in two large cardboard boxes attached. One for sleeping and one for play. Both boxes are enclosed with hardware cloth and bird netting across the top. I am just worried that they might eat something in the regular sand from Lowes that would make them sick.

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    They will do the same thing in play sand. I have a pan of dirt that my chicks love to dust bathe in. They are probably okay.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    It won't hurt them. Even the play sand would soon be dirty so don't worry about it.

5. Wateredgarden11

Mar 25, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Thanks so much for quick replies. And could someone tell me what to click when I post a new thread that will bold my topic thread and place the cute chick beside it? I am still figuring out how to use a forum...Thanks so much for help. Uhm do I just click the B in the message box???

6. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    That just means that there is a new post on there....nothing you can do.

7. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    [b ] text here [/b ] produces Bold text...... you just type the first "b" in brackets, then your text, then finish it with the "/b" in brackets. No spaces in the brackets... had to space to show you the format.

The little chick is something that you can't control, it appears when there is a new post to a thread since you have looked at it last.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  8. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    it's fine. They'll sand/dirt bathe no matter what you do.

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The easiest way to get bold text is to left click on the word and hold key until entire word or line is lit up then release button and click on the B in the boxes above. The necessary brackets are automatically placed. The click on preview below to see what it looks like.

10. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Sounds like a good idea for my ducks the pine shavings are horrible

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by