Dueling Broodies-Funny Pic

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've had a broody silkie for a while now so gave her a clutch of fertile hatching eggs last week. Opened the door to the nest box just now to find three puffed up broody hens, screeching their heads off, dog-piled on top of the eggs.

i either need a bigger nest box, or more eggs!

[​IMG]

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    cute pic but I feel bad for the babies - when they hatch they are going to ask " whos my mommy???"

Julie

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My uncle had 2 hens fight over the same nest. Only one chick hatched and both hens claimed it. Anytime it peeped in the coop, both birds would come to its rescue. NOBODY messed with that chick!

4. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Haha, that is cute! [​IMG]

5. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:then you will have to write a children's book called "Are You My Mother".....oh no wait thats been done....

6. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    That is just toooo funny!!!

7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:Surely by now you know the answer to that dilemma!!! We need some hatching eggs over here -- who's ready to ship? [​IMG]

8. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    i can just imagine the dialogue...

Hen 1: hey girl, these aren't your eggs!
    Hen 2: no i laid them!
    Hen 1: GET OUT!
    Hen 2: NO YOU GET OUT

fluffing and screaming begins

Hen 3: Hey girls i actually laid those eggs..

Hen 1 and 2:HEY GIRL YOU WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT!?
    Hen 3: IF I HAVE TO!

Squabbling ensues

human comes in and snaps shots...

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well, after i opened the door and let the light in, Dusty could see well enough to start pecking Carmen on the head. So i took my shots and quickly closed the door. Eventually Carmen and Guenevere came back out and left Dusty with the eggs.

Now, i have Angelica on the other end of the coop attempting to hatch straw. She isn't the brightest bulb in the pack, but very scary. She'll peck your hand off if you try to reach under her to check for eggs (there aren't any - but she doesn't seem to know that).

[​IMG]

10. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    haha!!!

That happened to me, too.

Heidi got broody...followed by Domino, Bright Eyes, and Moma Hattie (RIP...dog attack last Sunday).

What's really funny is when one gets off the nest...the others will steal her eggs...and vice versa for each time another lady leaves the nest.

That's what mine did, anyway.

Even funnier...when the chicks hatched...it was all left to Heidi...check it out. hehehehe

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by