Dull comb, one for the Gurus

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RevaVirginia, Oct 21, 2009.

1. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Both Momma hens seemed to have lost their bright red combs while they committed all their time to the nests.

The peeps are over a month old now and the hens have had a week or so outside running around with them. My question is....Is this par for the course with a broody and do their combs return the "luster"? Common sense tells me they would be lacking in nutrition of sorts from their ordeal. Got to love the hen child raising process, just want to do the best thing.
    [​IMG]

2. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    When they are ready to lay again their combs will become bright red. Comb color goes hand in hand with laying.

3. RevaVirginia

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Interesting..! Thank you so much
    [​IMG]

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Check them over for parasites to be on the safe side. I agree their combs will pink up as they move around more and especially when they come back into lay, however broodies often get overloaded with mites/lice due to their extended sitting. If they have them, this can cause paleness as well. Enjoy your mamas and their peeps.

5. RevaVirginia

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Thanks, I'll read up on that..and do just that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by