1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dum question???????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mullers3acers, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    Our coop is having a mouse or rat issue. I don't want to put anything in the coop that will hurt the girls. But I have heard that if you leave out a bowl of soda that the roudants will die kind of a natual death.
    May I get some input? Thank You:barnie [​IMG]

2. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Maybe you could get some live traps? They've always worked for me or you could stick a cat in the coop for the night.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You could leave out some plaster of paris mixed with powdered sugar where the chickens can't get to it. The rats will eat it and all that is left in a day or two is the cleanup. And no poison if one died and your chickens ate it. They will eat them. Chickens love meat.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:Around animals this is one of the best ways to take care of rats, but I use oat meal instead of powdered sugar. Just place it where your animals can't get to it.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Thank you, panner. I know alot of people will think it is cruel but it is one of the few ways to be sure you don't poison your own birds. I don't do live traps. Setting those things free just gives them the chance to come back, eat more feed and breed hundreds more like themselves.

mullers - I meant to add before that I know nothing of using soda unless the idea is the gas produced makes them either sick or they explode?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by