1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dumb ?, but will the egg be really easy to see?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Aug 6, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    [​IMG] I just want to know, could I easily look over an egg if I'm just scanning the run area and nesting boxes? Do I actually need to lift up the straw or anything? Will they pop out at me?
    Thanks

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    i have never had to lift up straw or go egg hunting !!! you should be able to see then, unless some people have sneaky egg laying hens that like to cover them and I just dont know about it.

3. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thanks I'm just so eggcited about getting eggs, I want to make sure I don't miss one. [​IMG] The wait is driving me crazy. I go out there 4+ times a day just to look around.

4. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    You may miss one. At the start I have never seen a hen intentially cover an egg but on occasion, I have seen one laid on the floor that got covered as othere scratched around just cause they could. Generally though they stick out like a sore thumb. You see em right away.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I missed one once, winter time - it was SMACK bang in the middle of the run - on BROWN dirt - I didn't see it till it was FROZEN in the morning!

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I have hay in my nest boxes and sometimes they mess it up getting out of the nest and more than once I've run my hands through and found an egg that was accidentlly hidden.[​IMG]

7. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    If you're checking that often, there won't be much chance of it getting covered up. I feel your pain tho...I'm excited about the prospect of eggs soon too. I can barely wait! But I guess my chickens have decided that they will lay in their own good time. [​IMG]

I get the feeling that they won't lay until I forget about it for a little while!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by