DUMB CLUCKS SCARED OF SUET CAKE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kitchenella, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    Well, my 4 dumb clucks went to bed a bit hungry tonight. Early afternoon I hung a wonderful home made suet cake in their run in the area they hang out. They completely ignored it and refused to hang out near it. After 2 hours I added a nice big beet green leaf (the day before I had put one on the fence near their water bowl and they devoured it. No luck. Finally I put a nice big pile of scratch under the suet cake. Nothing. As a last resort I put out their evening meal in the feeding pan but moved the pan under the suet cake. A couple of them made a few jabs at the food but basically left it there.

I'm hoping tomorrow morning they will have forgotten their fear and will go for the food.

Anyone else ever had such a problem?

Peggy (whose only laying hen {started laying 4 weeks ago} has laid 7 days in a row. Go Rex!)

2. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] OH MY WHAT IS IT????? LOL

That is funny....... So if you take it out they are o.k. ?

Mine only do that if I put Cauliflower in there they don't know what to think of that....

3. Kitchenella

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    So far I'm leaving it there. If by noon tomorrow they have still not eaten the food I'll probably take it out.

4. Kitchenella

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    Its a mixture of peanut butter, rendered chicken fat, seeds, whole wheat flour....I don't remember all that I put in it. It is strung up in a white mesh bag from a potato sack.

5. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Goofy aren't they! [​IMG]

I made PB&J sandwiches & put them in the suet basket & hung it for them & they were terrified of it at first & then about 1 day later, they started pecking at it & now the sandwich is gone. They loved it.

I would just leave it there & hopefully they will try it. I think they will get curious & have to take a peck. [​IMG] goof balls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by