1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dumb clucks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jenns Hens, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Jenns Hens

Jenns Hens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Two Rhodebars and two Orps all feathered out but won't go into their coop at night..during the day they go in and out of the coop but at night no way they just huddle in the corner of their run..I have a night light on a timer and that doesn't help either..are chickens really this dumb..the other night they were in the rain rather than going inside their coop..will I always have to physically put them in the coop or will they eventually learn on their own? Also I have fresh water in the coop trying to entice them. I'm all clucked out.:)

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Keep putting them in and they will learn in time. Are there other chickens inside? They could be getting bullied if they try to roost.

3. Jenns Hens

Oct 22, 2013
    Thanks, I only have the four.. They all go in and out during the day..one of the Orps I suspect to be a roo but I'm not 100% sure. He/she occasionally chases them but doesn't seem to really bother the m that bad.

4. Jenns Hens

Oct 22, 2013
    Two nights in a row they have come into their coop..yea:)

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by