Dumb daDumb Dumb candling question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeardedChick, Dec 16, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

... but I'm asking it anyway 'cuz I wanna know the answer.

I have been trying not to flip the eggs over when I candle (big side up). But it sounds like people do this and it's OK.

So what gives - can the egg be flipped for candling or is it better to leave it right side up?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I never touch the eggs. I run the light over them as is.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I just hold the egg in one hand and hold my candler over top of them (where the air cell is) with the other. Works great!

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I candle them large end up. I pick them up gently, and candle and put them back. Im trying to candle less. lol. Its probably better on the eggs. Im candling on days 7,14 and before I put them in the incubator to hatch.

5. JoanneNC

JoanneNC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2007
    MissPrissy, what kind of candler do you use?

JoanneNC

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have a Surefire flash light. I use a piece of flannel folded over with a tiny hole in the center to place over the end of the flashlight that is held in place by a rubber ponytail holder. The tip of the light is soft and I run it over the tops of the eggs and can see very well in them.

7. JoanneNC

JoanneNC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The embryo and veining inside the egg are very fragile and should not be flipped. I candle from the big end down into the egg, if they are in a turner I just run my good small mag. flashlight over the top of each egg. If I am hand turning I pick each egg up and shine the light down into the egg from the big end also.

9. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Now I'm certain I'm a chick murderess.

I hold the egg and look from the side and now I know I am turning them around WAY TOO MUCH while candling [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I won't be candling or touching them other than turning them anymore before they hatch. [​IMG]

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You turn them on their side during the incubation process... it's the end over end turning that can hurt them. I try to keep them as much in their original position when holding them and move the light if need be. I have tried candling them while in the bator but have had no luck being able to get the light just how I need it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by