Dumb Duck Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Happy Chooks, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Will ducks tear up your garden like chickens do? I was thinking it might be nice to have a couple ducks in my garden to eat some weeds and bugs. (roly poly's) But I'm not sure if they will ruin my veggies in the process. (some raised beds, some not) They don't scratch like a chicken, right?

Oh and I'd be only looking at females. Not a fan of duck meat. Eggs would be nice although I've never had a duck egg.

2. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    you're right, they don't scratch but they do dig holes while they are rooting around for bugs. they will also eat your vegs. if you don't protect them with some type of wire.

3. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Bummer. Looks like I'll have to find a different spot if I decide to get ducks. It can never be easy, can it?

4. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    nope...lol. it can be easy but you have to create barriers to keep the ducks away from your plants. ducks are messy but they're not that hard.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You turn the ducks loose in the garden AFTER you harvest [​IMG]

6. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Exactly what Wifezilla said. [​IMG] After you harvest. I have a three foot fence around everything...not like my swedish can fly that high [​IMG] but that is how high the chicken wire comes. They can root up your plants, eat all of the leaves, basicaly eat anything they can get in there mouths. [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:But that's when I plant my winter garden. Broccoli, carrots, spinach, etc.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can place poultry wire hoops over the plants and just let them clean up between the rows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by