dumb ducks I think not

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by foulman007, Jan 10, 2011.

1. foulman007

foulman007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    making refuge from the snow storm 1-10-11
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What a bunch of smarties! I'm surprised they are not out in it tromping around!

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] Adorable AND smart!

4. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    Pretty Pekins! All decked out in their winter camouflage. All I see are eyes, bills and feet. I want one!

5. foulman007

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    They hatched out 12-4-10. Out of the brooder and into the lake at 3 weeks just couldnt keep them in any longer.
    once they saw me this morning the followed me around looking for a handout

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aaaah, they are just babies. Probably cold without their adult feathers in yet. They look frozen. I hope you gave then a few BIG scoop of handout

7. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    How cute!

8. foulman007

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    Oh yeah I feed them they gobble it up and then go and beg from my wife

9. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't understand, I get conflicting opinions about ducklings being outside in cold like this if they are under a certain age because of lack of down and fat build up. Mine are 11wks & 9wks old, hatched mid and last week of October and they are yet to go outside full time, and I see these adorable cuties just over 4wks outside in the snow and cold and doing well. I'm from Michigan, so I don't know what the temp difference is from there to here, but I know we haven't had much of a winter, we've had cold and in the single digits and teens but no snow like that, we are below average for snow fall. So, I guess maybe I can assume it's ok to start putting them out in the garage to start building up their down and fat more if ducklins 4wks old like this can survive this kind of weather.

10. foulman007

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    yeah these little guys had enough of there heat lamps at 2 weeks and were headed for the pond it was getting into the low 30's overnight they would waddle up for some grub every morning. I thought they would freeze to and grabbed them up (when i could catch em) and put them back under their lamps by morning they were back i the pond. Their parents stayed in the brooder for a good 5 weeks last feb. and it was not nearly as cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by