1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dumb egg question inside

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG] bare with me, ok? now that i have gotten two eggs a day all week.. so we're getting consistent in both laying and the where (finally!) um, since i have drakes as well... is there anything i need to do with the eggs.. i mean for eating no babies hatching around here, thank you!

I remove them each morning and put them in the fridge, is that what you do? or are they no good because i have drakes? the hens could care less there not even 5mths and are not in the least bit broody...

told ya it was dumb![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    If you have a drake you can still eat the eggs. The only difference in the egg is it will be fertile for hatching.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Not dumb!

You're doing the right thing. If you get the eggs right after they've been laid and cool them, that should effectively stop their development. I'll add to your question, though . . . do fertile eggs remain good to eat longer, the same amount of time, or for less time than non-fertile eggs?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Difference between a fertilized egg and a non fertilized egg is half a cell. Chow down! They won't be any different than an unfertilized egg until you incubate them.

Since it is half a cell inside, which may divide a few times and turn into a few hundred cells prior to their stasis awaiting an incubator, there is no change to how long they can be stored. Unless of course you are in the habit of storing eggs over 90F... from which if you are storing them at 90F, might as well "store them" at 100 and rotate them 3x a day for a few weeks. LOL

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Oh. I never thought of that! So you NEED to put them in a frig?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You don't need to refrigerate eggs. Most of the world does not.

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Perfect, thanks everyone!

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Oh, good question! and i'll add another since i'm here and all [​IMG] what about baking? i know ducks eggs are supposed to be fantastic but is the ratio the same.. i mean does one large chicken egg= 1 duck egg? i have one hen who lays some mighty big eggs sometimes..

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I store my ducks' fertile eggs at room temperature and they stay fine for 2-3 weeks, some even longer. If your house is extra hot you might want to use or refrigerate them sooner. I use mine for baking and like to have them already at room temperature. I also have a refrigerator that likes to freeze things kept in certain places, and doesn't really have the room for all my birds' eggs anyway. If you don't mind using cold eggs and have the room, go ahead & refrigerate your eggs immediately.

10. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I never kept home grown chicken or duck eggs in the frig but none of the chicken eggs we get here are fertilized, and all my ducks eggs are fertilized. This thread really helped me! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by