Dumb Faverolles....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Out of the many, many breeds I have--I've come to the conclusion that my Faverolles are the dumbest....and my Sumatras are the "smartest."

I've had Faverolles stick their heads under the ramp into the coop & die from exposure (happened twice now), I've had them fly up & get caught in the wire & die. I've had them get stepped on & suffocated while dust-bathing........so I've had to make nearly constant modifcations to my coop to try to keep them alive. Hubby teases me with a reminder that--there is a reason they are rare!

I went out to feed about an hour ago and flipped over the large, plastic feed pan that I feed the hens out of (it was upside down) and underneath...was a very cold, wet and bewildered Faverolle hen!

She sprang up, shook off and started eating with everyone else. LOL

I grabbed her up, brought her inside by the woodstove & got her warmed up. She drank a little water, ate some stale hamburger bun & then shot poop across the livingroom floor! [​IMG] So she must be okay!

Anyone else have dumb chickens? LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2008
  2. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We have three faverolles and I have never had a problem with them. they don't seem stupid to me in fact little Tobacco seems the smartest of our chickens even if she does try to get the tobacco out of dh's pipe. Our stupidest chicken by far was the white polish. She only lived for 3 days after we put them in with our big flock. Every night I had to find her. Usually half way up the hill in the cow pasture and put her back in with the rest of the chickens. One night I couldn't find her and I havn't seen her since. I would blame the crest but we have two crevecours that have not gotten lost even once.

Melissa

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    If they're rare, maybe the in-breeding of the few birds left in existence is dumbing down the population. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

My Faverolles seem smart enough.

It's the Orps that are breaking my heart. I only have two left, gave the others away. One flew into the dog run on Friday and was eaten. I THOUGHT the other would stay with the 'good' chickens and behave (they never fly out of their free range area). Alas, the last Orp flew into the dog run yesterday & was injured.

As a result, the dogs got into BIG trouble. I spent Sunday picking up $100 of new supplies. Spent Monday breaking my back raising the fence and gates, and also nursing the injured chicken. Spent all day today nursing the injured chicken and am I know what I'll be doing tomorrow, too.

Dumb ME!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by