Dumb health question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sc00ter4900, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Hi This might sound weird but I was wondering Because I feed my chicks healthy food Does that mean the eggs are healthier than store bought? Im realy concerned about the yoke. Any info on this would be great. Thanks Scotty

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I think that if you have healthy birds then you can consider your eggs healthier. I guess if you fed them garbage they might be less nutricious but it is not like cows milk where the intake of food directly effects the actual product. Like when cows go from alfalfa to free range or pellets the milk can look and taste funny until you get used to it. My chickens eat bugs but the eggs don't necessarily taste like bugs. Yes, garlic and onion can have an effect but eggs are not created in the process of digestion of actual food - more from base components via the reproduction line in a chemical way like a human fetus is fed via the mothers actual blood just like any other organ in her body not directly through the digestive system. It is a different process from components that have completed the digestive system and have gone into the blood stream as chemicals more like atoms than food just like oxygen, sugars, and proteins.
    Caroline

3. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    If the chicken is healthy, then your egg will be healthier than the factory egg's. Free range makes them taste better to in my opinion [​IMG]

4. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Your eggs are much fresher. I have read that store bought eggs might be up to four months old. Yuck!

5. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    USDA says that farm fresh eggs can be up to 6 months old.

6. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Ick! What is farm fresh about that?

7. dragonlair

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I don't know, half a year is fresh?????? But that's the government for you.

8. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Thanks the Doctor put me on a special diet for my heart. Yokes have cholesteral. My ladies now giving eggs. I waited a long time to get them. I quiet smoking ,drinking and a lot of food I like . I love my fresh eggs I do 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites for my omlet 4 times a week. The doc says its ok. It really bites getting old [​IMG] Was hoping someone would tell me that the yokes from my ladies have less cholesteral than the one from the store. LOL Thanks Scotty

9. dragonlair

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    My cariologist says 2 whole eggs a day is very healthy for my heart, that they are not as bad for your health as they believed several years ago. I can eat as many whites as I want though. I had a heart attack this past spring too.

10. turtlynne

turtlynne Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    AIKEN
    Scooter - there's some literature out there that somewhat debunks the "eggs are bad for you/cholesterol" issue...I suspect it is funded by mass egg producers(they have the most to gain/lose obviously) but you might get some reassurance if you look for it and you could add that info to your own knowledge/opinion base; I can't remember where...but it's got to be online! Smile! My eggs are just 'better' because I love my chix(maybe they love me too)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by