Dumb marketing of eggs at grocery store

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Dec 15, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Now that my BSL is laying, I like to walk past the eggs in the grocery store and feel superior b/c I don't have to buy them.

The other day I saw some eggs marketed as "vegetarian eggs" because the chickens weren't fed anything from other animals. All I could think was, "bet those chooks would kill to have a mouse, a bug, or some fish parts".

[​IMG]

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Vegetarian eggs. I wonder if they taste like veggies. [​IMG] That is crazy. They will do anything to sell stuff. [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Saw a package that proudly proclaimed the chickens were fed only soy. All I could think was "poor chickens!"

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:ewww !!! Sounds nasty !!! Wonder what they taste like, I dont want to know !!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I purchased some that were cage free, free roam brown eggs. Half of them were bad. I mean BAD! It was nasty.

6. Farm Chic

Farm Chic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    um....vegetarian here and call me crazy but I don't see how anyone can label and egg as vegetarian being that it is or could be a [​IMG]

btw my chickens are fed just about anything! they love having oatmeal mixed with yogart and scrambled eggs on the side. they even love seafood!!! as well as our vegetarian meats that are not from any animal, all soybeans [​IMG]

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    My favorite dumb thing found on an egg carton:

"All Natural"

Like what other kind of eggs are there? Artificial??

I mean it's not like they are injecting them with something through the shell. There's only one place that an egg comes from - a bird's rear end. Although, given the stupid things people say to me when they find out I have laying hens, (like, 'you can EAT those eggs??') it seems that's not as obvious as it should be...

8. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Wow, that's crazy! [​IMG] I had a hard-boiled, brown shelled egg for lunch once, and all my friends were like, [​IMG] IT'S ORANGE! eww, it's dyed or something! wierd!

Some people. [​IMG]

9. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Over Thanksgiving, one of my "prissy-pot" sister in laws found out I had hens and actually ATE the eggs...she about had a "come apart" as we say. In fact she said, If it doesn't come from the grocery store, I'm not eating it. I said "well, one day when you are bored...why don't you look up the conditions of where your store bought eggs come from. [​IMG]

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I like those artificial eggs, you know,, the ones the Easter Bunny leaves?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by