1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dumb quail question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jennsbirds, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Jennsbirds

Jennsbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area
    Just something I've been wondering: Quail are too small to be kept with full-grown or juvenile chickens, but what about chicks or other baby birds?

I heard of an ingenius iea of using a baby playpen for raising new babies before movng them into coops, could it be used for quail when there aren't babies?

2. Chickens and quail should not be raised together. The disease factor is real and very painful to the birds. Change gloves when handling both quail and chickens. Don't let your chickens feed on the soil where quail droppings land. If coturnix quail are raised above ground on wire they fare way better. Bobs like to fly and need a little more room.

3. robopetz

robopetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Hawaii
    I have my silkies and buttons that eat sleep play and house together. They love eachother.

4. Jennsbirds

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area

Silkie chickens or silkie ducks?

5. robopetz

Oct 11, 2012
    Hawaii
    Chickens, I didn't there were silkie ducks too?!... Googling it now. Lol

6. Jennsbirds

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area

I had no idea until I passed a mention of it in the duck forum.

How big are your silkie chickens?

7. robopetz

Oct 11, 2012
    Hawaii
    They are all house pets. So I wonder if that makes a difference plus I have all of then on acv and garlic at least once a month.

My silkies are almost 6 mos and the other is about 1 month. I have 9 lil button quail hatchlings and I just set more button eggs in the bator just now.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    This has been a long running question, whether or not you should keep chickens and quail together. It is a fact that chickens CAN carry diseases that can kill quail, however that does not mean that the chickens HAVE any of these disease and that quail can co exist with the chickens in a healthy manner.

That also goes for size difference...if chickens are raised as babies with baby quail, many times they can all get along.

BUT...all these things must be kept in mind if you do mix quail with chickens and generally it is not worth the risk of disease or an aggressive chicken killing a quail.

9. Jennsbirds

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area
    That all sounds adorable (and helpful; I figured an early medication of some sort would help until I moved the chickens out)

Do you kow anything about mixing any other birds as babies with quail?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by