Dumb question but couldn't find the answer so...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cthrash1, Aug 24, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    With Cochin Bantams what results from a white roo and black hen?

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Most likely you will get black birds that leak some red. The birds may show no red, a little red or a large amount of red on the head, hackles and breast.

Tim

3. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    black is dominant over white
    thats all the info I can offer

4. tadkerson

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Kurt,

There is a dominant white and a recessive white in chickens. Most birds have the recessive white so the extended black gene is epistatic ( similar to dominant) over recessive white. The dominant white gene is epistatic (similar to dominant) to the extended black gene.

Tim

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Okay so you just never know til they hatch then which is the recessive in a particular chicken? Is this what you are saying?

6. tadkerson

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Most birds are recessive white but a handful are dominant white. You just have to know which birds are which.

Tim

7. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    One way you can tell if your white chick is dominant or recessive is the down color. Dominant white chicks are usually yellow, where recessive ones are smokey like a splash chick, only the feathers will grow in white. I've had this with both my white Jersey Giants and some Silkie x EE crosses. Dominant white birds will also usually have spots of red or black on them, since the gene is considered "leaky". I believe Leghorns and a few other white breeds are based on recessive white because it's a clean white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by