1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dumb question I am sure- food and water INSIDE hen house or not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jaybme, Sep 13, 2008.

1. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

My 3- 9 week old chicks finally moved into their run and hen house. The hen house is 2x4x3 attached to a 8x4 run. I close the hen house doors, locking them in at night.

My question is, do they need food and water inside the henhouse, overnight? Or should I just open the door and let them out early in the morning to get out and eat and drink out in the run?

No one has mentioned this anywhere I have searched. HELP!

Jayne

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. paul65

paul65 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    I have 16 chickens and they get no feed or water in the coop its all out side. In the winter i will put water and food in the coop so if the weather gets bad they don't have to go out but for the most part no food or water in coop just let them out early in the morning.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    With a coop that small, I'd probably keep it outside.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I do water overnight, but not food. It's hot here and Chook will move a little to sip water, she would eat, too, but food just tends to draw too many pests at night.

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:The only thing concerns me is what a bout the preditors over night?That,s why I takethe feed every evening and put it in the coop that way preditors will not try to dig under the fence of the pen.but I am sure that chickens do not need feed over night.
    Omran

6. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I also take the food and water away overnight...

7. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Hmmmmm........I leave my food and water inside the coop at all times because of predators.....I don't want to give them ANYTHING that will encourage them to come around [​IMG]

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I put a little light at night in the feeding area so that if any predators come for spilled feed, I send them to Jesus... [​IMG]

9. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    I keep food and water in the coop, just in case I wake up dead one of these mornings. I sure don't want my chickens suffering.

Rufus

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    No major pest problems here in the 'burbs ~ I have food and water beneath the elevated coop, and a small feeder and waterer on the inside. I originally did this so the less-dominant hens would always have a place to eat and drink if they got kicked out of the main areas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by