dumb question on how to connect nest box to the coop...need help!!!!!

bdin11

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
im not a carpenter or anything but i wanted to know how to connect a nest boc to the coop...do you just cut a box bigger then the nest box on the side of the copp and just slip it in???? help needed

Does it need to be on the outside, like for egg access?
I am not too handy, so I just put the box (a plastic bin) on the floor.

My husband cut a hole the size of the nest boxes, then framed it out with 2x4's for wall support, then connected an additional 2x4 on the outside where the box hung. The main weight of the nest boxes layed on this 2x4. He used large brackets we got from Lowe's for like, .38 cents or something, and screwed them into the framing of the nest box and the wall of the coop. He screwed the hinges directly into the studs, and they supported the access door.

This was on our old coop, which has been disassembled, so I've no pictures to show. We've yet to get the nestboxes up on the new coop and I've been using 5 gallon buckets.

HTH-
Em

Ok...f course I have NO idea what your coop is made of...my current one (a 6x10 dog kennel) is made of cyclone fencing, so I attached the nest boxes (milk crates) to the fence, to keep them steady (from tipping over) w/zip ties. Dunno if that helps you or not...if your coop is all wood this wouldn't help you at all....I am the zip tie QUEEN!
Kristi

Back on subject, what type of nest boxes, and what type of coop?

If putting on the outside of a typical coop, you would have to place it where the Stud isnt, will have to be between studs, then depending on type of walls will determine what type of fasteners etc... Do you want to be able to close off boxes or will they remain open at all times???

Hi, I guess it depends on the style of coop and boxes as well as the wall construction. Our nest boxes are indoors and we'll simply take the eggs out from the front, so we designed a stand and set the boxes on it and screwed the back to studs in the wall. See link below...

Do you have pics so we can see your situation?

cool.png

Quote:
That could be your new TITLE if anyone is watchin

tx_dane_mom
ZIP TIE QUEEN

lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

You forgot the duct tape! But really, zip-ties are AWESOME.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom