dumb question....

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
ok this is probably dumb to ask and I think I know the answer. My chicks are 7 weeks old have been off heat for 2 weeks or so. outside in the coop for a week. We had a couple nights that got down to high 30's to low 40's and they were fine. They haven't quite figured out going in the coop on their own yet. They will go up the ramp sometimes and one may pop in the coop for a second but then they come right back out. Today was high 50's and it started to rain tonight. We have an 8x8 covered run, 8x8 under the coop they can go that is dry, and a 10x8 HWC covered part....... Well I noticed tonight at times they were in the uncovered part so got slightly damp as it had just started to rain before dusk. Tomorrow it is going to rain most of the day and is going to be around 51 for a high. Should I still let them out of the coop or leave them in for the day? Actually this whole weekend Sat-Mon is going to rain and be low to mid 50's. I am sure they will be fine but they all just seem to huddle in a corner or walk around all puffed up instead of going to a part that is warmer so just want to be sure they will be ok and smart enough to stay dry and warm if they need to if I let them out.......

I have a couple chicks that age that have been outside for a couple weeks. I let them out today with the rest of the flock and they ran around in the rain. Like everyone else did. From watching my flock, my experience is chickens will play in the rain until they cant take it any more. Then they seek shelter. They are smart enough to know when they’re too cold or wet. I think letting your chicks out would be okay.

I know you didn’t ask this but... If you want to train them to go into the coop on their own you can lock them in it with food and water for 5-7 days. When you do let them out into the run they’ll know where to go to sleep because they‘ve slept there for five days.

I have a couple chicks that age that have been outside for a couple weeks. I let them out today with the rest of the flock and they ran around in the rain. Like everyone else did. From watching my flock, my experience is chickens will play in the rain until they cant take it any more. Then they seek shelter. They are smart enough to know when they’re too cold or wet. I think letting your chicks out would be okay.

I know you didn’t ask this but... If you want to train them to go into the coop on their own you can lock them in it with food and water for 5-7 days. When you do let them out into the run they’ll know where to go to sleep because they‘ve slept there for five days.
Thanks.

My plan was to lock them in the coop for the first couple of days then let them out in hte run. But then we had a few nice days before the run was 100% secure and we still had a couple things to do on the coop so I brought them out from the brooder to play in the run with supervision and brought them back in after a few hours. the first night I decided to leave them out I wasn't really planing on it and was going to bring them back in to the brooder but then thought about it and decided that was more for me than for them and they were probably out growing the brooder so I put them in the coop that night. It was a Thurs and we were pretty much going away for the weekend but close enough to home that I could come home. So Fri they were out for a bit to play before we went away while we were working on the coop. Sat we had a family party and they hadn't seen the chicks yet so we came here so they could see them so I let them out when I stopped back at home to check on my cats. Sun was around 90 here so I felt bad and wanted them to have the run to cool off in as well so let them out. Now they are waiting at the door every day to be let out so feel bad locking them in for a couple days.

for the most part I tap on the ramp and say come on girls and most will come up the ramp to head in. We haven't fully waited till dark since my husband gets home from work around 7:30ish sometimes a bit later and we go out and sit with them and I can tell they are either tired or cold as they are laying down huddled when we go out then all come to roost on us when we sit in their when normally if we are there one may come up but then jumps off to go run around and play. So before we head in we work on getting them in the coop. Last night I was going to let them try till dark and see but then it was really cold and rainy and they were just really smooshed together huddling in a tight pile so didn't wait and put them in.

sorry for such a long explanation. hope it made sense.

Thanks.

My plan was to lock them in the coop for the first couple of days then let them out in hte run. But then we had a few nice days before the run was 100% secure and we still had a couple things to do on the coop so I brought them out from the brooder to play in the run with supervision and brought them back in after a few hours. the first night I decided to leave them out I wasn't really planing on it and was going to bring them back in to the brooder but then thought about it and decided that was more for me than for them and they were probably out growing the brooder so I put them in the coop that night. It was a Thurs and we were pretty much going away for the weekend but close enough to home that I could come home. So Fri they were out for a bit to play before we went away while we were working on the coop. Sat we had a family party and they hadn't seen the chicks yet so we came here so they could see them so I let them out when I stopped back at home to check on my cats. Sun was around 90 here so I felt bad and wanted them to have the run to cool off in as well so let them out. Now they are waiting at the door every day to be let out so feel bad locking them in for a couple days.

for the most part I tap on the ramp and say come on girls and most will come up the ramp to head in. We haven't fully waited till dark since my husband gets home from work around 7:30ish sometimes a bit later and we go out and sit with them and I can tell they are either tired or cold as they are laying down huddled when we go out then all come to roost on us when we sit in their when normally if we are there one may come up but then jumps off to go run around and play. So before we head in we work on getting them in the coop. Last night I was going to let them try till dark and see but then it was really cold and rainy and they were just really smooshed together huddling in a tight pile so didn't wait and put them in.

sorry for such a long explanation. hope it made sense.
I get it. It’s tough leaving them in the coop for so long for the first time. It was tough for me too but I couldn’t be out there putting them to bed every night. I think if you keep showing them where to go at dark they’ll finally get it.

Thanks for this question. It's nearly word for word what I was about to ask! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who worries over their babies. I've cared for them in the brooder for so long, I'd be sick if something happened to them now! Last night was their first night in their new home. They have been so cramped in the brooder I know they're happier with more space. Im putting on the coffee and heading out to check on them. Wish us luck! :fl

Thanks for this question. It's nearly word for word what I was about to ask! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who worries over their babies. I've cared for them in the brooder for so long, I'd be sick if something happened to them now! Last night was their first night in their new home. They have been so cramped in the brooder I know they're happier with more space. Im putting on the coffee and heading out to check on them. Wish us luck! :fl
It is a scary time for sure! I will say mine did great and almost a year later are still doing great!

Back
Top Bottom